Sunday, July 3, 2011

Do you find this post helpful?

I remember the last November. I tried to export my photos from Picassa. My requirements were: keep the folders structure and the changes I made with the Picassa tools. Anyone would do it faster than me, because in Picassa you can export only one folder at the time. But I didn't want to do it sequentially. I was looking for an automated tool to handle this process. Unfortunately I didn't found one. Querying Google for an answer showed that many people failed searching for this functionality.

So I expressed my frustration.

It is funny and sad to see that 10 out of 10 people found this answer helpful.
Reasons:
  1. How could my answer possibly help anyone?
  2. If it actually didn't help them, then the functionality of the "Was that helpful?" button is ambiguous. It works more like voting on stackoverflow. Actually, as a side-effect of it's ambiguousness, it works exactly like voting, saying: Yeah! Damn right! We feel the same! which has nothing to do with answering the problem itself.
  3. People frustrated by software seem to solidarize, ready to support someone who expresses their own frustration.

For me, the important conclusion from that silly story is that I would never use "Was that helpful?" on any of my applications. The question, I guess, should be more narrow, for instance Did that answer helped you to solve your problem? or Did this answer your question?. I think it's an issue for social informatics study.

No comments:

Post a Comment